2017/18 Winter Trail Conditions

Excellent conditions at bird sanctuary today. Snow down, very little ice, the trails are well used right now so well beat in.

1 Like

Any word on wrandees?

Yup. Zoe and I trekked through woods a bit too.

1 Like

Wrandees doesn’t get good until we have enough snow to cover all the roots and rocks. No snow yet.

2 Likes

I really am missing a good stack of weather here… grrr. :persevere:

1 Like

Definite bummer Jeff!

Rode Flipside/powerline/deathmarch last night- perfect night, perfect conditions.

1 Like

Fight Trail is perfection right now (sorry @JeffV). Very little ice to worry about and what is there is rideable with a little care. Favorite winter ride of the year so far

1 Like

Lakes are frozen solid and perfectly smooth too. Great chance to explore some otherwise unreachable areas.

1 Like

Im strappin my skates and stick to the bike and bringing some pucks for the next ride

1 Like

Walked Irishman’s today. Looking like studs only except for the brave or mad-skilled.

3 Likes

Hold my beer

7 Likes

Speaking of riding in winter conditions:

1 Like

Great conditions at fight trail today, as previously stated there’s a few icy patches but easily avoidable. Was great to meet @Rockhopper and Mark on the trails as well. I also met @cspears at Keppoch over Christmas. Nice to put faces to names!

5 Likes

Took the kids for a hike at fight today. In/out and attic virtually clear of ice. Lots of puddles off trail for the dog to drink out of. There are some muddy patches though, especially on in/out -maybe best to wait until the temp drops again. The kids were disappointed there were no downed trees to cut or move.

1 Like

Conditions at Nine Mile last night were fabulous, nicely frozen. Spent about 3 hours in there removing at least a dozen deadfalls by hand and bucksaw. There still some that are going to take a chainsaw or maybe a big group of people.

2 Likes

Thanks!

@chucsutt removed a bunch of dead fall from the whopper system too; which is much appreciated.

1 Like

Spider/Skull is in great shape. A few icy patches. We removed a bunch of debris but there is still a lot out there.

1 Like

Daminion is clear of trees. But three large trees down on Scotch. I cleared one with a hand saw but the other two may need a chainsaw. The trail is in great shape otherwise.

4 Likes

Anyone know what the trails are like in the Kentville area? Best ridden with studs or without? I’ve got to bring my daughter to Wolfville for a few hours tomorrow and am planning to ride Gorge / Bird Sanctuary.

Studs…definitely. ice under the snow.

1 Like