Converting 26" to 650b with spacers? Good or not?

thoughts on this option?

1 Like

When you’re currently without bike, I’d get what you need up front rather than trying to hack it together.

3 Likes

Definitely. However, there are a few manufacturers (Intense comes to mind) who have offered 650b & 26er dropouts for their frames. I wouldn’t hesitate to use those. A “homemade solution”? I’m much more dubious.

2 Likes

If I’ve only known this I wouldn’t sell my reign. But yes, would definitely go for a new 650b if budget permits. :grin:.

Cool idea, and I’m an advocate of hacking/modding a bike as much as the next guy, however with a bike that’s going to be my primary rig i wouldn’t be comfortable installing a new headset and servicing the fork-so I’d have to factor that into the cost. You guys level of competence prob exceeds mine. Any need for a longer chain? Need for longer brake lines that need rebleeding etc?
As the end of the article mentions-fork brace clearance can’t be adjusted (although I have seen some conservative dremel-ing - - sketchy!)
Your best bet might be to borrow someone’s front wheel to see if 27.5 with reasonable meat might fit, before anything else. I feel like the cost of a new fork, plus all the other costs- you might have a better experience of buying a last years model on clearance or a used model, and still get a good resale on an unmodded 26er.
Would be an awesome project to see come to fruition though!

2 Likes

26ers are pretty good too.

5 Likes

Works for me!

1 Like

Its not what you ride that makes it awesome.
The ride is what makes it awesome

:punch::beers:

4 Likes

My next bike will be 27.5 just to keep parts prices down. My 26er is fun now though. Not sure the upgrade is worth the effort of conversion.

1 Like

I just like the idea of Hacks! Not to mention but some brands like intense do have there frame setted up to be convertible options. It’s like the MTB transformers :joy:. Thanks to new guy Derek who mention this to me on the Tuesday ride.