Councillor calls for mountain bike strategy

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1503498-councillor-calls-for-mountain-bike-strategy#.Wb0WqCzAgZE.facebook

6 Likes

Nice article to see, seems like halifax has been lagging behind infrastructure/support that smaller communities around have gotten behind-in my uneducated opinion.
The E-bike debate will prob be interestingā€¦

1 Like

YES! Bikesā€™nā€™trailsā€™nā€™stuff etc

There would also be the formation of a regional mountain bike advisory committee that includes representation from the mountain biking community.

coming soon to a website near you:
http://mountainbikehalifax.com/

1 Like

Lolz, mtb sales are up 25%! Yeah, so some shop sold 2 on top of the 8 they already sold this year.

(ha ha, joking people.)

buzkill

ha ha, but you get what I mean, right? Saying sales are up 25% is meaningless without context.

It is cool to see HRM maybe getting on board with this.

I agree, its soft. A trend over a few years would be more convincing.

I donā€™t think bike sales is the benefit that HRM would get out of this. It should be more aimed at tourism, health and wellness and youth activities.

The bigger point vastly outweighs that statement. HRM needs legit trailsā€¦ It is a large population base, a tourism destination and has great potential for trails with a different character.

You know this well, Iā€™m sure.

3 Likes

2 Likes

This is great to see. I recently moved from HRM to NB and travel to Fred, Moncton, and SJ regularly, always bringing my bike. The trails and access they have is amazing, all with municipal support and blessing.
Rockwood park in SJ is unreal. Think Point Pleasant Park but with 20km+ of singletrack in the woods between the walking paths, everything beautifully signed and maintained. :grin::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Makes you wonder why Mancini felt the need to cite similar strategies in British Columbia and western Australia??

Wouldnā€™t council be more receptive if they could just follow the lead of our neighbours in NB?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think bike sales are any where near why this is being proposed. He just mentioned the ā€˜statā€™ because it shows an increase in interest in mountain biking, more or less.

1 Like

Maybe NB needs to promote itself more. Which in a way proves why he would give BC as an example. I can probably name three resorts in BC, let alone what their trails are called. NB, not so much (bad example, I can name many places to ride in NB, having raced there on and off for the past 20+ years) Mancinini, regular dude cyclist, has no idea what NB has.

1 Like

Was going to say the same thing. The stuff in BC is so visible that its easy to point to it as an example. Looking into things before the move, I could tell there was some nice trails around, but you donā€™t realize how ā€œlegitā€ they are until you show upā€¦as usual with this stuff, its all very local and grassroots.

This is a Tourism NB commercial that airs quite often:

1 Like

This will be discussed at ~6pm:

Sure hope it goes well!

Actually itā€™s being discussed right now.

All councillors who spoke were supportive. The vote was 15 - 0 to move forward with a staff report on developing a regional MTB strategy. First hurdle cleared.

4 Likes

Its kinda crazy (ridiculousā€¦ Absolutely ridiculous) all the tape involved
A vote to move forward to make a report. Could honestly have the trails half built before all the motions have been gone through

2 Likes

Yes, but this is how it happens legitimately, and at a level that will benefit everyone. Iā€™m with you though, this amount of bureaucracy and process is infuriating for someone who just likes to GSD.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. Make no mistakes i understand its the way it has to be. Just so sad that it is. All the time, energy, (our tax dollars) for meetings to approve a vote for a meeting to approve a report about the next meeting where the next vote is about that report