Evil Birch

We still ride in through the quarry from Kearney Lake Rd, but we only hit that trail on evenings and weekends.

1 Like

Wtf is a sanctioned trail?

1 Like

One where some level of governing jurisdiction or private property owner approves of the trail and gives it a big old stamp of approval.

I hear we have less than PEI if you look on MTB Atlantic.

So, gore, the gorge, the official part of fight trail, Victoria park, and Wentworth. Probably missed one or two. Not a bad selection, really.

Keppoch

Still trying to find out conclusive status of Fitz.

Evil birch was removed because it requires trespassing through an active mine site to access. This was a deliberate decision by the original builders and I respect that, but given that the mine has taken to turning people away from parking on the weekends and taken steps to destroy the original entrance to the trail, it was removed from the globally visible map. If you like to ride there thatā€™s fine, go nuts, but it should have never been on a public mapping site in the first place. In the interest of keeping it as a trail to ride it was removed so that the landowners didnā€™t have another reason to continue to block access. If you donā€™t like my decision you are welcome to contact Trailforks and complain and I will have this discussion with them.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll also add that Strava is used in other places to have trails shut down. Being unmoderated means any idiot who hasnā€™t done a single lick of trail building on an illegal trail can just advertise to the globe where illegal trails are. Landowners see a public map advertising that their land is open for use and get pissed, then they go and investigate, see what is happening and get scared of liability. Then itā€™s bye, bye trails. I am absolutely baffled by people who think that advertizing to the globe about illegal trails is a good thing to do.

As a builder of trails without permission I feel it is an extra insult to have some stranger or worse some ā€œrespectedā€ MTB rider come along who has done absolutely zero work on the trails just decide that they will tell the globe. I donā€™t care if you find it and ride it, have fun, that is the whiole point, but have some respect for the illegal trails and the people who skip going for rides to build something fun to ride.

4 Likes

Nine Mile, Irishmanā€™s, Reservoir Park, Marc Park in Bridgewater, Keppoch, Brunello.
Havenā€™t been to Debert in ages, but that was a good ride when I was there.
River Ridge Common in New Germany (near Bridgewater) is getting some new fun trails.

1 Like

except a new shiny condo dev - we can only dream.

I park at Little Caesars for morning rides and scoot around the highway and cross the pit. Iā€™ve not gone during open times in years as they simply asked me not to a few years ago. Sundays are good. Go early.

Pretty much every bridge in there is broken with exception of the double drop. Be careful. Itā€™s a SUPER fun ride.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a big new No Trespassing sign on the gate off of Kearney Lake Road now. We parked off the highway instead. (Probably only room for four vehicles max. Easier with trucks.) No signs that way.

1 Like