Made in Nova Scotia Ebikes?

Hubbards, apparently. Anyone seen these?

Looks like my old Canadian Tire squishy moto-lookalike 20" ‘bmx’.

I wish them well, but those things are effin ugly.

I’m just unsure how you design a bike that looks that dated without paying attention to any modern suspension bike design trends.

Braaaaap…

6 Likes

28mm of travel on the fork? Why even bother with front suspension at that point?

These are straight electric rather than pedal assist, aren’t they? I get the impression that the pedals are, at best, a backup system.

Order now and they’ll throw in a pack of hockey cards for the spokes.

1 Like

I think so. I’m pretty sure the pedals are only on them so that they get classified as a “power assisted bicycle” instead of a motor vehicle.

A bit more info here on similar bikes… :thinking:

Be nice if they fit the models.

Telling that they made their debut at the Interior Design Show.

28mm is what ebr calls the “rod diameter” or I suppose what we would call the stanchion diameter. Most of the 28mm forks on ebr’s website have “stroke” (travel) of 75mm to 85mm so I would think that’s well sufficient for road use which is clearly what these products are intended for.

Ahh, I see. My mistake. It just happened to look in every picture that it really did only have 28mm of travel lol.

2 Likes

If it has a throttle it’s banned from HRM trails.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/halifax/2017/09/19/pedal-power-only-as-council-bans-motorized-bicyles-on-parks-and-trails.html?platform=hootsuite

5 Likes

I totally found on of those when I was younger living in Durham, abandoned in what looked like a old dumping site. Thing was hilarious to ride!

Id love to have one of those. Original bmx holy grail

Hello bent6543

SURU is actively collaborating with Halifax City Council to clarify the key differences between the throttle-controlled, gasoline-powered bicycles that caused this motion to be raised in Council in the first place, and throttle power-assisted electric bikes.

The HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality), as with most communities across North America, is struggling with a rapidly evolving e-bike industry, and the incompatibility of certain vehicles on certain travel ways. For example, most large “Vespa-style” electric scooters that are cheaply and readily available from big box stores and other retailers are, strictly speaking, legal as e-bikes to the letter of the law but not to the spirit of the law. They have removable pedals that are for all intents and purposes useless as a form of realistic motive power.

SURU Cycles welcomes this discussion because our number one mandate is to be part of the transportation solution, and to abide by federal, provincial and municipal regulations. SURU bikes are bicycles that pedal easily like any single speed beach-cruiser style bicycle, but that also benefit from the design integration and strength of motorcycle engineering.

It is our hope that trails that allow access to bicycles are open to SURU and other e-bikes that are, in every way, compatible with the speeds and spirit that those trails are intended for.

Hi Adam

Our mistake, we quote suspension dimension by tube diameter, which is the custom in the motorcycle industry from which we come.

Suspension travel is between 70 and 80 mm depending on the model. Of course SURU is not intended for mountainbike use, or to be a substitute for a traditional bicycle, except in the case of someone who commutes daily and wants to take a load off when the hills come or they want to arrive sweat-free.

1 Like

@JonMacD

SURU is not a bicycle with “compliance cranks” like those examples you cite. SURU is a lovely, easy to ride single speed cruiser bicycle with a throttle-operated electric motor, and is fully compliant with federal and provincial e-bike regulations as such.

SURU is narrow, weighs a fraction of what those gas-powered scooter conversions weight, and easily fits regular bicycle infrastructure, such as bike paths, bicycle lock ups and even the front bicycle carriers on city busses.

Please note the relative scale of this SURU and the old school 26" MTBs parked around it.

I hope that clarifies things.

Best Regards,
The SURU team

1 Like

So these do not require movement from the pedals in order to propel the ‘bike’ forward @SURU_Cycles?

If that is the case, then these have no business being on any path or trail that other motorized-transportation is prohibited from and I’m glad city council agrees with that.

Electric-assist bikes, or ones that require pedal movement in order to get electric assist should be allowed on any path or trail that a regular bike is allowed on in my opinion.

3 Likes

@Jetter

We agree 100% with you, Jetter. If motor vehicles are not allowed, then they are not allowed, period. That includes pedal-assisted bikes, mobility scooters, hover boards, ATVs or other vehicles with artificial motive power. SURU welcomes this discussion, at all levels of the community.

At stake is safety, always, and SURU is determined to be on the side of safety when it comes to pedestrians, cyclists, e-bikers, horseback riders and even motorists.

Speed times mass (weight) equals force, which is the only value that matters when there is a collision. Many leading pedal assist bikes weigh as much or more than a SURU. My wife’s 1980’s Raleigh three speed with the rear child seat and our 3 year old weigh more than a SURU. If the posted speed limits are respected, then the deciding factor as to what is more dangerous is weight, and possibly width, not the technology that enables the motive power.

SURU wants to be clear : what we are legislating against in HRM? The potential damage caused by a collision between an vehicle with inappropriate dimensions and another user, or is city council choosing one motive technology over another based on some ideological bias? A motorized wheelchair can weight twice as much as a SURU and has no operable pedals, which means travelling even at half the speed it is capable of as much force.

Our federal government, in addition to the governments of Ontario, PEI and the municipality of Ottawa to name just a few, spent lots of time and resources examining the physics and safety of e-bikes going back to the year 2006. They concluded, based on scientific, fact-based study that the compromise was limiting all power-assisted bicycles (into which are included all pedal-assist bicycles) to a maximum power output of 500 w, a maximum speed of 32 km/h on level ground, electronic cutouts when brakes are used / or pedalling is stopped, and a MAXIMUM WEIGHT allowance of 40 kgs.

Mixed-use trails and bikeways are governed with by-laws designed to protect everyone. SURU respects the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, by manufacturing a lightweight, compact electric bike that is compliant and useful as both a single speed cruiser bicycle or an electric bike. SURU also respects the reality of physics, who’s laws undeniably state that a SURU is less dangerous than a bicycle/child trailer combo in any collision situation, and uses up less trail space.

City council has not yet voted on this issue, only to rewrite the existing regulations to integrate new forms of transportation that have evolved over the past several years. SURU is determined to be part of the solution and will continue to listen to everyone.

Ask me anything, and comment if you wish. Dialogue is welcome, and inclusive transportation solutions are our aim.